Port Tampa Bay is proud to serve as the host facility for the Naval Commissioning of the USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125) warship on Saturday, October 7, 2023. The Jack H. Lucas Commissioning Committee, Navy League of Tampa, and U.S. Department of the Navy are working with the port to host this important ceremony. Ship commissioning is the act or ceremony of placing a ship into active Navy service.
The commissioning ceremony is one of the most significant milestones in the life of a U.S. Navy ship and includes a weeklong event of festivities for the ship’s crew, the U.S. Navy, and the Tampa Bay community. Members of the media are invited to the following events leading up to the commissioning:
- Monday, Oct. 2, 2023 – The USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125) arrives at Port Tampa Bay. High-resolution photos and an HD video reel of the ship will be provided to members of the media, following her arrival.
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 3-5, 2023 – Watch Naval Culinary Specialists learn from local chefs at some of Tampa Bay’s best-known restaurants. Chefs from Mission BBQ, Forbicci’s, and Urban Stillhouse will welcome the Navy service members and provide tips and guidance on creating culinary masterpieces for the ship’s crew. Additionally, each restaurant has graciously offered to provide crew meals to the entire ship at various points of the week during her visit. Contact Lisa Wolf-Chason for specific times for each visit.
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2023 - A tour of the ship will be given to players from the Tampa Bay Lightning and Thunderbug from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Media are welcome to attend but MUST RSVP to [email protected] in advance. The address is Berth 150, located at 3409 Causeway Blvd, Tampa, FL 33619.
- Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023 – The Tampa Bay Lightning will host members of the USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125) during their pre-season game against the Florida Panthers. The Lightning will host a special ceremony recognizing the service members in attendance.
- Friday, Oct. 6, 2023 – Jack H. Lucas pride night at Hillsborough County Schools. On Friday, Oct. 6 every Hillsborough County Public Schools football player will honor the legacy of Jack H. Lucas by wearing a decal of the ship’s crest on their helmets. Additionally, leaders from the ship will be recognized in a halftime presentation at Plant High School during their game against Jefferson High School.
The U.S. Department of the Navy’s Public Affairs office will send a formal invitation to members of the media to tour the ship, as well as, attend the ship commissioning on Oct. 7.
To learn more about the schedule of events, the ship and her history, view photos of the vessel, the legacy of Jack H. Lucas, and reserve tickets to the commissioning ceremony and other public events, visit www.ddg125.org